Prolotherapy Cures What?
Prolotherapy is a technique, where the soft tissue of an injured joint is injected with a natural substance (PRP-plasma rich platelets). The inflammatory substance then stimulates the natural healing response of a body.
It is a non surgical treatment and commonly known as a non-surgical ligament or regenerative joint injection. The least- invasive injections are administered by the doctors to regenerate the healthy tissues within the injured ligaments and joints. Although it is mostly used to treat back pain, it is equally beneficial for relieving pain in the Knees, Shoulders, Hips, and other ligaments and joints
How Prolotherapy Works?
Once the natural irritants are injected, it activates the healing process of a body that starts to repair and strengthen the damaged ligaments. This helps the joints to stabilize over time and patient feels less or no pain in the treated area. The support provided to the joint allows the patient to move his/her arms or legs without any pain and perform routine activities like a normal person.
During prolotherapy, several shots are usually administered at the injured part of a joint, which effectively treat the weakened ligaments and tissues. Depending on the circumstances of each patient, the number of shots varies between 4 to 15 per session. The overall period of this treatment may cover 3 to 6 months.
The precision is the key to ensure best possible outcome. Hence, the required amount of dose should be injected at the affected area. The effectiveness of this treatment is evident from the fact that patients suffering from arthritis or degenerative disc disease do prefer prolotherapy, with a view to relieve their pain.
How Beneficial is Prolotherapy Treatment?
Medical practitioners who use this treatment and are convinced that it works; put forward their argument that when the joint is strengthened, the pain is automatically reduced. Moreover, a strong joint helps to stabilize the overall function and movement of a body.
What Types of Diseases does Prolotherapy Treat?
This is a permanent and natural treatment, which solely relies on the natural ability of a body to repair itself and reduce the sensation of pain.
On the contrary, anti-inflammatory medications and pain relievers mainly offer a temporary relief. Besides, surgical procedure doesn’t always provide the desired results, as in most of the cases it fails stabilize a joint.
Prolotherapy works perfectly to treat following symptoms:
- Chronic neck pain or back pain
- Chronic tendon and strains, injuries, or pains
- Bursitis and Degenerative knee cartilage disorder
- People suffering from osteoarthritis
- Instability and weakness sprawling over a period exceeding six weeks
- Chronic joint or muscle pain
- A person facing difficulty sleeping, exercising or moving and experiencing joint pain
- Chronic elbow tendonosis (tennis elbow)
- Rotator cuff and Frozen shoulder injuries
- Plantar fasciitis
- Patients who are not feeling any relief even after their corrective surgery
- When sensation of pain and stiffness is still felt after numerous sessions of physical therapy
- Patients who have been taking pain relieving medications (ibuprofen, aspirin, Advil, oral steroids) for quite some time, but still can’t feel any kind of relief from pain